Political Refugees from Iran to Start Education and Protest Action
Bamberg, 2nd July 2012
Specifically, we seek:
- The acceleration of the asylum procedure for all asylum seekers, and more transparency at the administrative level. This will ensure that procedures are clear, and that our responsibilities are understood. The applicant must be given the opportunity to take a personal hand in his or her asylum procedures. For that they need adequate legal advice and a competent translator. It is unacceptable that people are left for years in a dead-end and disabling state of uncertainty that necessarily drives them to despair and even thoughts of suicide.
- Freedom of movement without restrictions on asylum seekers. The possibility to be involved in civic and community processes, to build friendships and learn about German culture, should be a given.
- Work permits for asylum seekers. Instead of living on benefits, we also will be useful members of society. We want to contribute our skills and training, but are condemned to inaction.
- To improve the ability of understanding and integration of asylum seekers. We call for state-funded German language courses and access to training and education.
- That the accommodation of asylum seekers in remote areas be ended. The living conditions in the camps must be improved, in particular the connection by public transport and proximity to community centers. Staying in such a „shared housing“ should be restricted to only a minimum period – as it is already done in other regions of Germany.
- Choice for food and clothing. We are responsible people with individual needs. The dull repetition of the same pre-packaged food takes from us even the smallest sense of self-determination. In-kind benefits should be replaced by cash benefits, to allow us to make our own choices.
Our demands correspond to the human rights and the ideals of humanism! We ask the German government and all institutions and organizations active in the field of asylum policy, for these improvements.